High School

Around The Rinks: Friday, Dec. 7

The Kennett Blue Demons ran their current winning streak to five with a 5-0 shutout of Interboro on Friday evening (Dec. 7) at IceWorks in Aston, Pa. Four other scholastic teams in the Delaware Hockey Night coverage area were in action as well.

Kennett 5, Interboro 0

Kennett (6-2-2) kept riding their current wave on Friday with a dominant 5-0 win over Interboro (4-4-0). The Blue Demons established constant presence in the Buccaneers’ zone from the outset and limited their foes to just 11 shots on goal.

A pair of first-period goals from senior Jacob DellaVecchia set the tone for the Blue Demons, and team assist leader Hayden Ibarra-Blomgren earned his first seasonal tally off a drop pass at the top of the right circle 3:55 into the second period after failing on four previous shots. Kyle Robertson and Blake Richman also scored for Kennett, the latter sniping a bar-down goal from 35 feet out after stealing the puck in open ice.

Tyler Richman was in net for the 11-save shutout, while Hunter Chubb stopped 25 of 30 shots faced for Interboro.

Unionville 3, Salesianum 1

After tying the game at one 2:30 into the first period, Salesianum (2-4-1) gave up two rapid-fire second-period goals to the Unionville Indians (3-5-0), who avenged last year’s defeat to the defending Flyers Cup champions with a 3-1 victory at the Patriot Ice Center in Newark, Del.

After Dylan Blackburn redirected a Ben Brucker slap shot from the right point past Salesianum goalie Graham Burke 2:14 into the game, freshman Logan Downs responded with a net-front tap-in 16 seconds later. Unionville capitalised on a pair of successive odd-man rushes in the middle frame, with Connor Malloy finishing a 2-on-1 at 7:44 to put the Indians up and Stevie Cicchino firing a 15-foot wrist shot over Burke’s glove off the ensuing face-off to cap the win.

St. Mark’s 4, DeMatha II 0

The St. Mark’s Spartans earned another non-league win on Friday, setting the pace early and blanking the DeMatha Catholic (Md.) varsity II team 4-0 at the Patriot Ice Center.

James Morrison notched a power-play goal 8:58 into the first period to set the tone, followed by second-period tallies from Graham Kline and Jimmy Paoli before Lance Ralsten put a bow on proceedings 3:42 into the third period. Billy Pierce was in net for the shutout.

Tatnall 6, Appoquinimink 5 (OT)

After trailing 3-0 through one period and 5-2 with two minutes to go in the second, the Tatnall Hornets rode the shoulders of a four-goal performance from Lain Singer to nip Appoquinimink 6-5 in the first minute of overtime at the Patriot Ice Center. The meeting was their first after the Hornets’ 5-3 win over Appoquinimink in last year’s Delaware High School Hockey League championship game.

Aiden Kurych fired two early goals past Tatnall goalie Ty Hutchinson as part of a 16-shot first period from the Jaguars, while a third from Luke Bernath at 13:05 extended the Jags’ lead to 3-0. A pair of Luke Headman goals in the second period brought Tatnall back within one with 5:52 left in the second period before tallies from Jonny Schwarz and Jack Anderson extended Appoqunimink’s lead to 5-2 before Singer earned his first of four goals and an altercation between Headman and Paul Army in the final minute of the second period spilled over into a penalty-laden third.

Singer rifled off two power-play goals late in the third period to tie the game for Tatnall at five apiece before his unassisted game winner 58 seconds into overtime.

Hutchinson stopped 29 of 34 total shots in victory for the Hornets, while Vincent Paloni recorded 32 saves on 38 shots in defeat for Appoquinimink.

To Top